Reports to: Regional General Manager/ Director of Operations
The General Manager is required to direct the overall operation of a company to maximize performance, profitability and return on investment by creating a positive and productive work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties include but are not restricted to:
- Develops and monitors the performance of financial and operational plans which support the overall objectives of the company and operating division; develops the annual budget and business plan and makes recommendations for capital improvements.
- Ensures that product quality and service standards are met in all areas, as pertains to physical appearance, maintenance and cleanliness. Establishes and maintains preventative maintenance programs to protect the physical assets of the company.
- Oversees the development and execution of marketing plans and yield management efforts to maximize revenue generation, RevPAR and occupancy levels. Ensures the development of strategic marketing opportunities and tactical sales plans.
- Works closely with regional operating team to ensure optimum staffing levels relative to volume and productivity levels in all areas of the hotel.
- Maximizes training initiatives and plans to drive efficiencies and enhance operating and service performance of the company.
- Develops and maintains rapport with key community contacts to ensure a visible presence in the local community. Ensures the handling of community/media related inquiries in the most effective manner, while referring sensitive matters to regional and corporate media/communications offices.
- Provides regular and adhoc information and status reports to regional operating team as requested on the financial and operational performance of the company against plan.
- Oversees the security function to ensure a safe and secure environment for guests, employees, and company assets. Ensures compliance with brand standards.
- Establishes and maintains a proactive human resources function to ensure employee motivation, training and development, pay and benefit administration, and compliance with policies and procedures and local labor regulations. Fosters positive employee/labor relations with employees and local bargaining units (as applies).
- Fosters the development of a positive work environment for all employees. Mentors all levels of employees through formal and informal meetings, discussions and performance feedback.
- Works effectively with staff to address cultural and/or work environment issues so as to affect positive employee and guest experiences.
- Champions the brand at all times and provides brand perspective site tours to perspective guests, developers, and owners.
- Measures the effectiveness of broad-based marketing plans and yield management efforts to maximize the number of market segments reached, and to diversify the sources of revenues.
- A strong background in operating hotels in a competitive market.
- An outstanding leadership style that engages the team.
- A strong understanding of the market and ability to maximize profit.
- A sound business acumen.
- A passion for delivering superior results.
- A commitment to transfer knowledge.
- Strong Leadership skills in managing a team to drive for results.
- An ability to manage complex relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree in Hotel Administration, Business Administration or equivalent field.
- An experience of 5 to 10 years in general management experience of high level operations role or some prior general management experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Type and level of experience required may vary slightly based on size and complexity of operation.
The above is designed to help you in the understanding of your role and is not intended to be a definitive list of your duties, as flexibility in meeting company and guests needs is required by all employees.